APS Neutrino Study: Reactor Working Group

From: Ed Blucher <blucher@hep.uchicago.edu>
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 11:44:22 CST

Dear Colleagues,
   Here is a list topics for discussion at our Feb. 7-8 meeting;
it is also a possible outline for our final report. Saturday afternoon
will include a review of non-theta13 physics possibilities with reactor
experiments. On Sunday, we'll focus on theta13 issues and make plans for the
next couple of months.
   We have begun to solicit speakers for some of these topics. Please send
us an email if you would like to make a presentation. Also, send us a message
if you would like to work on a specific topic but are unable to attend the
Chicago meeting.
                                         Best wishes,
                                         Gabriela and Ed

I. Physics Possibilities of Reactor Neutrino Experiments

- theta13 (delta m^2 13)
- neutrino magnetic moment
- Finesse physics
- structure functions
- sin^2 theta W (can NuTeV result be checked?)
- Search for oscillation effects of sterile neutrinos (If MiniBoone confirms
  LSND signal, can reactor experiments be helful?)
- CPT tests (nu bar from reactor vs. solar neutrino); can new experiments
  improve these tests
- Can detectors also be useful for supernova detection?
- Can other experiments (or detector R&D)
  take advantage of new underground facilities near reactor?
- Better measurement of absolute neutrino spectrum from reactor?

II. Reactor experiment to measure theta13

A. Systematic issues common to all approaches:
 -- efficiency
 -- energy calibration
 -- background

B. General detector issues

 -- Choice of scintillator
 -- Number of detector regions
 -- Calibration schemes
 -- Movable detectors

C. Comparison of different experimental approaches

  -- Can we develop figures of merit to compare different experimental
      approaches, sites?

  -- What will be needed to establish a signal? For example, will some
      energy spectrum information be required? Will it be necessary to
      evaluate detector efficiency in independent ways?

  -- Other issues relevant for site selection (e.g., environmental impact).

D. Systematic precision attainable with different experiments

  o. BRIEF reports on worldwide activities

  i. Small (CHOOZ-2): fixed 10-ton detectors at 1.1 km baseline

  ii. Medium: 50-ton detectors (Movable vs Fixed)

  iii. Large: 250-1000 ton (single or multiple far detectors -- are
          identical near and far detectors needed?). What is the ultimate
          reactor experiment?

E. Sensitivity studies for different options; complementarity with accelerators

F. Discussion of cost/timescale for different scales of experiments.

III. Discussion of possible roadmap for future reactor neutrino experiments.